Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11519 Ignoramus11519 is offline

Default Next interesting project, Lagunmatic CNC mill

On 2012-09-24, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus11296 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Lagunmati...lling-Machine/

It powers up, the brake resistors are burned.

If it has a standard 3-phase motor for the spindle, then it may be
easier to replace the whole VFD than mess with repairs. Most likely
if the brake resistor smoked, the power module that controls the
brake has blown. If it has a separate transistor for that, it is
repairable. if it is an all-in-one power module, it does not make
sense to repair it, as your cost on a new module could be greater than
for a whole surplus VFD.

I spent a while on my knees today in front of that VFD.

It is a Yaskawa G3 branded Saftronics.

Supposedly, even with the drive wired for remote operation, I could
make the motor jog by pressing the jog button on the keypad.

Unfortunately, pressnig the jog button seems to do nothing, 00.0 is
displayed as frequency and the motor does not jog.

My main question, as of right now, is how can I establish the
condition of the power module. How can I find out if it is good or
bad?