Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is a junction box behind clear acrylic considered concealed?

On Sep 24, 12:05*pm, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2012 10:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:43 am, *wrote:
On 9/23/2012 8:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Let's say I need to extend some wires that run in the joist space below a
crawl space attic above a bathroom. The crawl space has 1 x 4 flooring.

I know I can't simply remove the floor boards, install the junction box and
then conceal it with the floorboards.

Correct...

If a plywood panel is screwed across the joists to cover the hole,
would removing the screws be considered "disturbing" anything?

That's fine but...

Should I just lay the plywood (maybe 12" x 16") in the opening and not
screw it down? Maybe add a small hole to make it easy to remove?

* Visibility is not a requirement
for what you described.

If this is only a crawl-accessible attic space, what difference does it
make about having a solid surface in the end, anyway?

The hole we made is bigger than just for the junction box. We opened
the floor above the fan/light we are installing to make it easier to
feed the wires from the source and switches into the junction box that
is built into the fan. That's when we discovered that the source wires
would barely reach into the fan. and besides even if they did reach,
the cloth insulation at the ends was breaking down from heat, movement
etc. I decided to cut them back about a foot to good clean insulation,
install the junction box and run new romex to the fan. That way I have
no cloth covered wire in the fixture.

I'd prefer not to leave the hole above the fan and junction box open
in case someone crawls back there or decides to store something back
there. It's right around a dark corner and I can imagine someone
putting a hand in the hole and hurting themselves or the fan.

Installing the junction box flush with the floor might be possible,
but the old source wire runs under a wall into the finished space
where it's stapled or attached to the joist in some manner. I don't
have a lot of room or much slack. I'm really reluctant to disturb the
old wire any more than I need to because of it's condition. Cutting it
back and adding the junction box in line with the existing wire is
about as much as I want to do. Trust me, if you saw what I was up
against, I think you'd agree.

I think I'll go with a drop-in panel, marked to note that there's a
junction box below and add 2 finger holes marked with "Lift Here To
Open.".

I cut the floorboards back to the center of the joists, so once the
panel is dropped in, it can't fall out, tilt or shift, With that
solution, the junction box and fixture will be accessible from above.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd just make the access room needed, install the (metal) junction box
w/ whatever blocking scheme is simplest facing up and flush or just
under the flooring height and use a metal cover plate and be done...

The possible fly in the ointment is that you may need two or a larger
than just a square box if you're having to cut into a run as there
possibly won't be sufficient extra length in the existing run to make
only a single junction...if it's the end of a run or you have access
from another junction point that's simpler.