Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Is a junction box behind clear acrylic considered concealed?

On 9/24/2012 11:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:46 am, George wrote:
On 9/24/2012 9:31 AM, wrote:

On Sep 24, 7:13 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
Let's say I need to extend some wires that run in the joist space below a
crawl space attic above a bathroom. The crawl space has 1 x 4 flooring.

I know I can't simply remove the floor boards, install the junction box
and
then conceal it with the floorboards.

However, can I replace the cut out floorboards with a piece of plywood
with
an acrylic insert so that the junction box can be seen from above?

The plywood would be big enough to be used as an access panel spanning the
joist bay, the "window" would be large enough for the junction box to be
clearly visible.

If not acrylic, what about a steel grate?

*You could install the junction box flush with the floorboards and just put
a blank cover on it. If that is not possible, just label the area where the
box is located. Paint the spot with white paint and label it "Junction box
below". It only needs to be accessible, not visible.

If this is that conduit that you were asking about a while back, you could
install a junction box with an extension box or mud ring on it to bring it
up to be flush with the floor.- Hide quoted text -

I'm still trying to figure out the concept of floorboards in
a crawl space attic......

You can see that on older homes where they did a first class job. The
house where we lived when I was a kid had yellow pine T&G on the minimal
height attic floor.

My house was built in 1956. All of the floors (except for the attic)
are 1 x 6 T&G pine.

The walls and ceilings are made of some sort of 3/8" x 8" (?) brown
paper covered T&G gypsum board, laid horizontally across the studs,
then covered with 3/8" of plaster, making them 3/4" thick.

Thats how they did plaster walls after migrating away from wood and
metal lath. I don't remember it being 8'. I think it (at least the
stuff I saw) was 4' wide and maybe 16" high. A little searching says it
was called "rock lath"

There's no wood lath, which makes some projects easier, but there is
metal mesh in the ceiling/wall junctions which make some projects a
major pain. All in all, it's a very well build house.

The house where I'm helping my son with the fan is a mess when it
comes to the wiring. There is some real sloppy work that I simply do
not want to mess with. Whoever wired to room that they added in the
attic was a real hack.

As for acrylic, as pointed out, the electrical box does not
have to be visible only accessible.-.