Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is a junction box behind clear acrylic considered concealed?

Let's say I need to extend some wires that run in the joist space
below a
crawl space attic above a bathroom. The crawl space has 1 x 4
flooring.

I know I can't simply remove the floor boards, install the junction
box
and
then conceal it with the floorboards.

However, can I replace the cut out floorboards with a piece of plywood
with
an acrylic insert so that the junction box can be seen from above?

The plywood would be big enough to be used as an access panel spanning
the
joist bay, the "window" would be large enough for the junction box to
be
clearly visible.

If not acrylic, what about a steel grate?

*You could install the junction box flush with the floorboards and just
put
a blank cover on it. If that is not possible, just label the area where
the
box is located. Paint the spot with white paint and label it "Junction
box
below". It only needs to be accessible, not visible.

If this is that conduit that you were asking about a while back, you
could
install a junction box with an extension box or mud ring on it to bring
it
up to be flush with the floor.- Hide quoted text -

I'm still trying to figure out the concept of floorboards in
a crawl space attic......

To clarify, the entire attic, up to about 2' from where the rafters
meet the top plate of the wall, is floored with 1 x 4 T&G. Walls were
put up to create a room in the center of the attic. Behind these
walls, where the rafters make it impossible to stand, is the "crawl
space" that I am speaking of. My son wants to install a fan/light
fixture in the bathroom below, and lucky for him, the location for the
fan is below this crawl space, not the carpeted area of the finished
room. That gives him access to area above the ceiling, but the wires
for the existing light won't reach the coonections for the fan/light
fixture because of the way the fan is built. We need to extend those
wires with some new romex. I would rather replace the old cloth
covered wires completely, but they go off under the floor to who knows
where.

However, I'm not sure why you are having an issue with the concept.
The attic in my house is a crawl space, but there is plywood on top of
the ceiling joists to create a floor for storage. Why do floorboards
in a crawl space seem like such a strange concept?

As for acrylic, as pointed out, the electrical box does not
have to be visible only accessible.

So replacing the cut out floorboards by simply screwing them back onto
the joists is acceptable?

*Yes, but please label the location for the next electrician.