Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Is a junction box behind clear acrylic considered concealed?

On 9/24/2012 10:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:43 am, wrote:
On 9/23/2012 8:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Let's say I need to extend some wires that run in the joist space below a
crawl space attic above a bathroom. The crawl space has 1 x 4 flooring.

I know I can't simply remove the floor boards, install the junction box and
then conceal it with the floorboards.

Correct...

If a plywood panel is screwed across the joists to cover the hole,
would removing the screws be considered "disturbing" anything?

That's fine but...

Should I just lay the plywood (maybe 12" x 16") in the opening and not
screw it down? Maybe add a small hole to make it easy to remove?

Visibility is not a requirement
for what you described.

If this is only a crawl-accessible attic space, what difference does it
make about having a solid surface in the end, anyway?

I'd just make the access room needed, install the (metal) junction box
w/ whatever blocking scheme is simplest facing up and flush or just
under the flooring height and use a metal cover plate and be done...

The possible fly in the ointment is that you may need two or a larger
than just a square box if you're having to cut into a run as there
possibly won't be sufficient extra length in the existing run to make
only a single junction...if it's the end of a run or you have access
from another junction point that's simpler.