Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is a junction box behind clear acrylic considered concealed?

On Sep 24, 10:43*am, George wrote:
On 9/23/2012 8:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Let's say I need to extend some wires that run in the joist space below a
crawl space attic above a bathroom. The crawl space has 1 x 4 flooring.

I know I can't simply remove the floor boards, install the junction box and
then conceal it with the floorboards.

However, can I replace the cut out floorboards with a piece of plywood with
an acrylic insert so that the junction box can be seen from above?

The plywood would be big enough to be used as an access panel spanning the
joist bay, the "window" would be large enough for the junction box to be
clearly visible.

If not acrylic, what about a steel grate?

The NEC uses the wording readily accessible. That means you need to be
able to get to it without damaging the building. So if your access panel
is easily removable (hinged, pull out without cutting, damaging or
disturbing anything etc) you are good.

What I would like to hear is the word "screwed".

If a plywood panel is screwed across the joists to cover the hole,
would removing the screws be considered "disturbing" anything?

Should I just lay the plywood (maybe 12" x 16") in the opening and not
screw it down? Maybe add a small hole to make it easy to remove?

Visibility is not a requirement
for what you described.