Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is a junction box behind clear acrylic considered concealed?

On Sep 24, 7:13*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
Let's say I need to extend some wires that run in the joist space below a
crawl space attic above a bathroom. The crawl space has 1 x 4 flooring.

I know I can't simply remove the floor boards, install the junction box
and
then conceal it with the floorboards.

However, can I replace the cut out floorboards with a piece of plywood
with
an acrylic insert so that the junction box can be seen from above?

The plywood would be big enough to be used as an access panel spanning the
joist bay, the "window" would be large enough for the junction box to be
clearly visible.

If not acrylic, what about a steel grate?

*You could install the junction box flush with the floorboards and just put
a blank cover on it. *If that is not possible, just label the area where the
box is located. *Paint the spot with white paint and label it "Junction box
below". *It only needs to be accessible, not visible.

If this is that conduit that you were asking about a while back, you could
install a junction box with an extension box or mud ring on it to bring it
up to be flush with the floor.- Hide quoted text -

I'm still trying to figure out the concept of floorboards in
a crawl space attic......

As for acrylic, as pointed out, the electrical box does not
have to be visible only accessible.