Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default USB Mechanical Switch?

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:47:54 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:21:13 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:11:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:28:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:05:30 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:15:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe I'm missing something in the problem description but seems to me
you can just leave them both plugged in all the time. Set the PC
Speakers as your 'default' sound device in Windows so it operates
'normally'. Then tell Skype to use the headset and, in the third
option, ring 'all devices' so that comes out the speakers too in case
you're not wearing the headset when a call comes in.

This particular box drops speakers and outputs to a headset anytime it
senses the headset., which is just fine with me... I use the headset
for YouTubing when the wife is still asleep.

OOOooh, now I get it.

...Jim Thompson

Follow up. Here's a little hotkey program to switch between the two so
you could just leave it plugged in.

http://blog.contriving.net/2009/05/0...s-soundswitch/

Here's a sys tray icon version (Windows 7 only)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1656534

I had a "soundswitch" program on the old machine... a nuisance trying
to apply it, when all I want is to grab the headset and answer the
call by punching the switch.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |