Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default USB Mechanical Switch?

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/18/2012 7:15 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

short extension cable will save the hub.
or cut the cable and insert a switch
Or look around in the sound configuration to see if it lets
you use different i/o for calls and not calls.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:15:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Something like this...

http://tinyurl.com/8emrh85

I guess just cut the headset cable and insert in-line, in a teensy
plastic box ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Something like this...

http://tinyurl.com/8emrh85

I guess just cut the headset cable and insert in-line, in a teensy
plastic box ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Or this...

http://tinyurl.com/8bvcx34

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Something like this...

http://tinyurl.com/8emrh85

I guess just cut the headset cable and insert in-line, in a teensy
plastic box ?:-)

Surely you know better than to do that? Mechanically toggling one of
the data lines (pins 2 & 3) supposedly works.

--
Don Kuenz

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Something like this...

http://tinyurl.com/8emrh85

I guess just cut the headset cable and insert in-line, in a teensy
plastic box ?:-)

Surely you know better than to do that? Mechanically toggling one of
the data lines (pins 2 & 3) supposedly works.

Are you forgetting I have a headset attached? I want the switch
equivalent of unplugging the headset.

Adding electronics seems quite superfluous for a headset. For a
harddrive, sure, signal intent, so you don't scramble data.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

You got to be kidding me? right?

Jamie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Are you forgetting I have a headset attached? I want the switch
equivalent of unplugging the headset.

OK, so you need to make/break audio and not USB? That may be a hard
nut to crack. Newer PCs seem to sense when an audio connection changes.
One way of doing that is to use a phone jack similar to symbol D in
this schematic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ck_symbols.png

The tip breaks/makes a switch as the plug is inserted/removed. When
plug is removed the tip signal lines(s) get(s) connected to an unknown
"black box" circuit.

--
Don Kuenz
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:03:44 -0500, Don Kuenz
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Are you forgetting I have a headset attached? I want the switch
equivalent of unplugging the headset.

OK, so you need to make/break audio and not USB? That may be a hard
nut to crack.

Unplugging the USB connector seems to work. So why wouldn't a switch?

Newer PCs seem to sense when an audio connection changes.
One way of doing that is to use a phone jack similar to symbol D in
this schematic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ck_symbols.png

The tip breaks/makes a switch as the plug is inserted/removed. When
plug is removed the tip signal lines(s) get(s) connected to an unknown
"black box" circuit.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Unplugging the USB connector seems to work. So why wouldn't a switch?

The outer two pins of a USB connector carry VCC and ground while the
inner two pins carry a differential pair. Put a switch on either line
of the differential pair.

--
Don Kuenz

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe I'm missing something in the problem description but seems to me
you can just leave them both plugged in all the time. Set the PC
Speakers as your 'default' sound device in Windows so it operates
'normally'. Then tell Skype to use the headset and, in the third
option, ring 'all devices' so that comes out the speakers too in case
you're not wearing the headset when a call comes in.

This particular box drops speakers and outputs to a headset anytime it
senses the headset., which is just fine with me... I use the headset
for YouTubing when the wife is still asleep.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:47:54 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:21:13 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:11:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe I'm missing something in the problem description but seems to me
you can just leave them both plugged in all the time. Set the PC
Speakers as your 'default' sound device in Windows so it operates
'normally'. Then tell Skype to use the headset and, in the third
option, ring 'all devices' so that comes out the speakers too in case
you're not wearing the headset when a call comes in.

This particular box drops speakers and outputs to a headset anytime it
senses the headset., which is just fine with me... I use the headset
for YouTubing when the wife is still asleep.

OOOooh, now I get it.

...Jim Thompson

Follow up. Here's a little hotkey program to switch between the two so
you could just leave it plugged in.

http://blog.contriving.net/2009/05/0...s-soundswitch/

Here's a sys tray icon version (Windows 7 only)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1656534

I had a "soundswitch" program on the old machine... a nuisance trying
to apply it, when all I want is to grab the headset and answer the
call by punching the switch.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 2012-09-19, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

ideally you want the power-supply contacts to close before the data
contacts but usb enumeration is fairly slow so an ordinary 3p2t switch
would probably work.

But as others have mentioned this is really a software configuration problem
(unless you have too few sockets to leave everything connected all the time)

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 2012-09-20, Jim Thompson wrote:

This particular box drops speakers and outputs to a headset anytime it
senses the headset., which is just fine with me... I use the headset
for YouTubing when the wife is still asleep.

I've got an analogue headset plugged into a Y adaptor that it shares
with the speakers, when I want "less noise" I just turn the speakers off.

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:15:29 +1000, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype
calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers.

Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect
the head-set when not in use?

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

you just need a standard DPDT switch to switch the data lines.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Are you forgetting I have a headset attached? I want the switch
equivalent of unplugging the headset.

OK, so you need to make/break audio and not USB? That may be a hard
nut to crack. Newer PCs seem to sense when an audio connection changes.
One way of doing that is to use a phone jack similar to symbol D in
this schematic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ck_symbols.png

The tip breaks/makes a switch as the plug is inserted/removed. When
plug is removed the tip signal lines(s) get(s) connected to an unknown
"black box" circuit.

Did it this way...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE...h_Plugable.jpg

Hard to see, but there's a pushbutton on top (the white dots between
connectors). With only one PC plugged into the output side, the LED
only lights when the headset is active.

Now to neaten up the desk, then go buy some Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |