Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor  Drivel is offline

Default More on electric cars.

John Williamson wrote:

It does with the Ampera

Only by using the fossil fuel engine to keep the battery charged. In
which case, why not just use a simpler internal combustion engined
vehicle?

You are very slow. As the name implies, "hybrid". Full EV in cities
and when you go long distance occasionally the car runs on the genny
and still gets 60mpg.

And I can get 70mpg on a run in a number of small cars

The Ampera is NOT small. Again dumbo, it runs on zero emissions in the city
where we do not need harmful, toxic emissions. For the long range in the
country the IC genny cuts in running at a more efficient constant speed.

The new series hybrid cars will be super simple.