Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor  Drivel is offline

Default More on electric cars.

Andy Champ wrote:
On 15/09/2012 16:18, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Battery technology is improving greatly. There is also the combined
battery/supercapacitor.

This could have been posted 30 years ago. And was as true then as
now. Or not.

This one forgets the brick cell phones we had.

That one forgets the enormous changes in electronics over that time.
Look up Moore's Law (we get a lot more processing power for the same
energy)

Yep. The advances in motor control technology has take off as well.
Motor-in-hub will be the norm - brakes and power all in unit. Using
supercapacitors to reclaim 98% of the kinetic energy and give it right back
on acceleration.

Using

1. The New Toshiba batteries
2. Wheel-in-hub motors
3. Electronic motor control
4. Light, insulated car bodies

The range of EVs would not be much of a problem at all. The technology is
there, it needs wrapping into one package.