Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
harry wrote:

Ordinary cars are complex, and prone to breakdowns, while the
Ampera is simple

Electric cars/hybrids are extremely complex.

They are NOT.

Hybrids are at least as complex as a normal car for the mechanical
bits,

Nonsense. An Ampera only has a genny engine. NO transmission.

So it uses a generator to drive an electric motor. Brilliant. Most
makers abandoned that idea in the 1920s as it was too complex and
unreliable. The Pious, on the other hand, which is more typical of
hybrid cars, has an automatic gearbox and a load splitter. And the most
polluting batteries on the road.

Electric cars are also complex, as they have equipment on them to use
regenerative braking, battery charging and motor control.

Simple stuff. Mainly an ECU.

Say that again *after* you've worked on one and got it going after a
breakdown.

Our hybrid buses at work are *much* more
difficult to work on than our normal buses.

Modern hybrid buses are crap. Look at the supercapacitor busses in
Shanghai.

Which can just about make it from one stop to the next. At least our
hybrids can go a whole day without running out of power.

Damn, I've been provoked into replying to Drivel again. Back in the KF
you go...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.