Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:04:23 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,

Dave Liquorice wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or any
great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25 mile
round trip commute

Then they need to match or beat the overall costs of running such a

vehicle. Instead of costing considerably more.

So what are the DIY costs and how would one go about installing your own charging point on your property, I'd hate to have a charging lead poked through my letter box out to the street where it'd be a trip hazard ?.
I'm just wondering how people will charge these from home and I'm talking about the majority that park on the street or the closest they can which for me would be across the road. Or are electric cars only for people with garages ?.

The market seems to be well off,green minded people who don't travel
much, with enough space to park the vehicle so that the power lead
doesn't cross any public land. That's just about all suburbs and no
inner cities anywhere except for well off people who live in blocks of
flats with their own parking. Which is a shame, because small electric
cars would be ideal for inner city dwellers.

Most of that sums me up, except the well off bit. I can afford to run
the old petrol car I've owned for over thirty years, but I can't afford
the initial cost of even a G-Whiz. Which is a shame, because apart from
when I'm working, I generally drive no more than 30 miles a day even on
my days off. When I'm working, it's 2.4 miles each way, but I can't
carry what I need to carry to and from work on a pushbike.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.