Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default More on electric cars.

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:04:23 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article o.uk,

Dave Liquorice wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or
any

great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25 mile

round trip commute

Then they need to match or beat the overall costs of running such a

vehicle. Instead of costing considerably more.

So what are the DIY costs and how would one go about installing your own
charging point on your property, I'd hate to have a charging lead poked
through my letter box out to the street where it'd be a trip hazard ?.
I'm just wondering how people will charge these from home and I'm talking
about the majority that park on the street or the closest they can which
for me would be across the road. Or are electric cars only for people with
garages ?.

You just need a waterproof while in use socket, like the masterseal
range(1).
If you only have on road parking then you will have to find someway of
getting the cable to the car without it being a trip hazard.
(Maybe some overhead drop across the pavement?).
You can get a supply to the edge of the pavement for bus stops so you must
be able to get one for a charge point, for a price.

(1) If you have a meter box you may be able to put a socket in there to
avoid having a waterproof one.