Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default More on electric cars.

On Sep 15, 11:45*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Doctor *Drivel invalid@not-
for-mail.invalid scribeth thus
"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
. ..
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:42:30 +0100, Doctor *Drivel wrote:

Well it sez a 93 mile range which I suppose would suit me a lot of
the time ...
My round trip working tommorow will be 110 miles. Monday's is around
240.
Then buy an Ampera
That only makes 25 to 50 miles on battery. The *up to* 310 miles comes
from an on board petrol generator.

Plenty of people have a regular commute less than 25 miles, but need
more range often enough that a pure electric car isn't enough.
But at around £30000, you could buy a cheaper ordinary car and a lot
of petrol.
Prices will come down for sure as the competition hot up. *What you save on
petrol over a year will go a *hell of lot towards the cost.

Don't worry the guvvermint will soon find a way of taxing that power
perhaps we'll see AC and DC "fuels" and differing rates of taxe on
them;!..

Battle of the currents all over again..

Slightly off the type of current topic, I was at Hopwood park serices
today, and noticed three charging points at three bays. One 32 Amp for
"Fast Charge", one 13 Amp for a "Standard Charge", and one branded by
Nissan, with a hefty proprietary looking connector on bloomin' heavy
cable rated at 400V, 3 phase, 110A, according to the plate on the side.
That was the one with the audible cooling fan running even when not
doing any work.

I suspect the two lower power ones use the same plug/ socket
arrangements, but the other one couldn't connect to them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.- Hide quoted text -

There is an on board charger/rectifier for the low rated on that runs
off a 13a socket. (8hr charge)
The other two sockets (middle and high speed) supply DC to a separate
socket on the car. (2hr/20miin charge)