Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Wiring conventions

Tim Watts wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Thomas wrote:
The cable that I bought has inners coloured brown, blue, black and
green/yellow. I wired the blue to the neutral and the brown to the
permanent live - leaving the black and green/yellow for the two
switched lives. I have a 3 pole isolator on all of the live
cables, but even so, I'm not comfortable with having a
green/yellow for a potentially live cable and I'd like to find a
solution to this asap.

You've bought the wrong cable. It is presumable a flex since it has
sleeved earth? It is flex designed for three phase stuff by the
colours. And yellow/green is for earth *only*.

Any decent wholesaler will have 4 core plus earth flex. Like this:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...e_3/index.html

If you don't need the earth, leave it unused, but taped safely out
of the way.

It may be considered good practise to earth unused conductors.

Not sure if it's a reg or not, I am in a meeting right now and my red
book's at home.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ile:Img206.jpg

Now Reg number 131.2.1 in the 17th.

Of course that would never happen. In real life all the unused cores would
be shoved into the same piece of strip connector with the earth.

--
Adam