No-one

Default Inset gas fires - query as to pipe run

I have an old style gas fire siiting in front of a fire surround on
the hearth. The gas supply is via a chrome pipe attached to the pipe
supply which exits the floor some 2 feet to the right of the fire.

I am considering getting opening up the fireplace and getting an inset
gas fire. Before I decide on this, what is the likely way the pipe
would be made to run from the supply to the fire, given that it would
be in the fireplace proper? Would a fitter bury the pipe behind the
skirting (possibly into the plaster) or run it in much the same way as
it is now?

TIA