Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default language: The missing engineering skill

In article , lid
says...

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,

says...

How bout the 80% of our Senate/Congress that sez
"nukyooler"..... No matter, tho, cuz oh-ficial language in
Wash. is Lobby$peak....

Anyone who takes the Southern pronunciation of "nuclear" as a
sign of ignorance needs to spend some time in the nuclear
engineering department at one of the Oak Ridge Associated
Universities.

Do they say that protons and neutrons comprise the "nuculus" of an
atom?

If so then it's just blatantly incorrect non-phonetic
pronunciation, but if not then it would seem that they don't
understand what "nuclear" refers to.

A Pakistani scientist claimed that some of his colleagues believed
there was a genie in the reactor, but it would be nice to know even
our Southern engineers understood what these words mean.

Tom, do you enjoy making a fool of yourself, because if you are going
to accuse the scientists at Oak Ridge of ignorance with regard to
nuclear energy that is _exactly_ what you are doing.

I'm not because I don't think they are ignorant, but to use a pronunciation
based on 'nuke' is not what I expect from real scientists.

Bear in mind that "real scientists" tend to sneer at the "fuzzy
subjects" which include English.