Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default language: The missing engineering skill

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I'm looking at things that aren't on Ebay, or a way to take a handful
of modules and make a complete product. I have several DDS modules, but
I found the sample schematic from the IC OEM is wrong. There are two
ways to interface the chip. A parallel PC printer port, or a serial
interface from a 92C51 processor. One item is a USB interface board, to
turn a module into a nice programmable signal generator for less than a
commercial product.

Well, the problem is to sell something cheaply enough that people will buy
it, but still make a profit on making them. Maybe I'm just no good at
marketing. I do make some money at this, but not a lot. So, I was just
suggesting you look at the possibility of actually earning a living income
this way very carefully, not through rose-colored glasses.

And, of course, if you are making a "comlpete product" you have to
worry about FCC compliance and maybe product safety testing, too.
ARgghhh, big $$$

All I was going to build was the interface. The DDS module is too
cheap to make in house, and test equipment rarely needs FCC approval.
The DDS module can only put out a 0 to 5 volt signal, which is about 120
mW. A lot of signal generators produce higher outputs and don't require
FCC approval, since they don't radiate the signal when used properly.