Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default language: The missing engineering skill

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:22:38 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

It will be a place
to build control boards for my projects. Lots of microscopic surface
mount parts that will require a microscope to place & solder. I go on
SS in two years, and I'm thinking about offering some electronics kits
on Ebay.

Hmmm, I'm sort of doing that with a real web commerce store, but people are
really cheap! I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to sell on eBay,
I think people would want a year of free phone support for a $1 item
that cost me $0.99 to make. It is REALLY hard to make any money when
selling to the hobby-level group, with competition from China, etc.

Sell the item for a buck and the support for it for $15 per call. Note
on the auction that nobody from China offers _any_ kind of support.
After the first 20 calls, make sure your FAQ answers are online so
they don't have to call. You won't make much for your time, but you
will make something, and if anyone complains, refer them to the
support plan. win/win

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.