Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Grout scrubbers?

On 9/13/2012 7:57 AM, dadiOH wrote:
walter wrote:
My kitchen and bathroom counters are covered with beautiful 4"
ceramic tiles and 1/2 " grout lines. They have lasted for 30 years
without a chip or blemish.

The problem is with the grout. Originally it was probably sealed.
Over many years, the sealer has deteriorated. It is kind of scaling
off and does not look so good any more.

So, I would like to remove all remnants of the original sealer, then
scrub the grout free of accumulated grime and then apply a new sealer.

I can remove the old sealer pretty well with a brass bush, which does
not scratch the tiles. However, it is hard work and I am tired of it.

Is there a mechanical scrubber that will take the hard work out of
refurbishing my grout?

What do the pros use? I am sure they do not do it with a small brass
toothbrush.

If it were me, I'd use acid. One *does* need to know how to use it though,

Ever do it? Acid will damage tile if the tile has metallic (coloring)
glaze.