Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default language: The missing engineering skill

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

It will be a place
to build control boards for my projects. Lots of microscopic surface
mount parts that will require a microscope to place & solder. I go on
SS in two years, and I'm thinking about offering some electronics kits
on Ebay.

Hmmm, I'm sort of doing that with a real web commerce store, but people are
really cheap! I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to sell on eBay,
I think people would want a year of free phone support for a $1 item
that cost me $0.99 to make. It is REALLY hard to make any money when
selling to the hobby-level group, with competition from China, etc.

I'm looking at things that aren't on Ebay, or a way to take a handful
of modules and make a complete product. I have several DDS modules, but
I found the sample schematic from the IC OEM is wrong. There are two
ways to interface the chip. A parallel PC printer port, or a serial
interface from a 92C51 processor. One item is a USB interface board, to
turn a module into a nice programmable signal generator for less than a
commercial product.