Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default Grout scrubbers?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:00:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:40:20 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:50:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:11:17 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

My kitchen and bathroom counters are covered with beautiful 4" ceramic tiles
and 1/2 " grout lines. They have lasted for 30 years without a chip or
blemish.

The problem is with the grout. Originally it was probably sealed. Over many
years, the sealer has deteriorated. It is kind of scaling off and does not
look so good any more.

So, I would like to remove all remnants of the original sealer, then scrub
the grout free of accumulated grime and then apply a new sealer.

I can remove the old sealer pretty well with a brass bush, which does not
scratch the tiles. However, it is hard work and I am tired of it.

Is there a mechanical scrubber that will take the hard work out of
refurbishing my grout?

What do the pros use? I am sure they do not do it with a small brass
toothbrush.

Thanks

Consider a grout saw from the borg stores (~$5.00). The blade has
diamond grit edges and will remove grout. If you have stains like
grease take it down a little move and add clean grout on top of the
old. Then seal again.

Pic:

http://www.prosourcecenter.com/catalog/10090GroutSaw.jpg

Are you sure about this .... "add clean grout on top of the old" ? It
just doesn't sound right to me. And I would think it would just be
easier to remove all the old grout but this isn't a fun job either.

Yes I'm sure (experience). Why remove all the grout? Get past a grease
stain or faulty grout. Fix 'er up works. Cleaned and sealed,

I've had 4 homes with 4" tile on a counter top. Ask my bride! She
knows how to make dirty tile look great. We sold every one with a
bright and shiny counter top of tile.

I guess I'm wondering how well the new and old bond after a year or so
of wear? I'm no expert on this subject but I'm just leary on this
idea. I do think tho the old has to at least be cleaned and brushed
well to make a decent bond at a minimum. Maybe they sell a bonding
agent before you put down the new grout to help in this cause??? I'm
not going to argue with experience tho.