Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default language: The missing engineering skill

In article , "Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh" says...

"J. Clarke" fired this volley in
in.local:

Tom, do you enjoy making a fool of yourself, because if you are going to
accuse the scientists at Oak Ridge of ignorance with regard to nuclear
energy that is _exactly_ what you are doing.

I don't believe that's what he did. I believe he was 'diagonally' denying
that they would be ignorant enough to pronounce the word "nuculus".

You're stretching quite far. Quite frankly the argument he is using is
the sort of thing my mother would go on at length about. Doesn't matter
if someone has three Nobel Prizes and wrote the Great American Novel, if
she didn't like his pronunciation you'd hear about it for weeks.

I keep seeing people who know a great deal about nuclear energy criticed
by people who know very little about it because the experts use a
regional pronunciation for that one word.

Somebody needs to get a video camera and make the rounds of operating
staff at nuclear power plants, asking each member to pronounce the word.
Then do the same for PhD nuclear engineers and physicists.