Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring conventions

In article ,
Thomas wrote:
The cable that I bought has inners coloured brown, blue, black and
green/yellow. I wired the blue to the neutral and the brown to the
permanent live - leaving the black and green/yellow for the two
switched lives. I have a 3 pole isolator on all of the live cables, but
even so, I'm not comfortable with having a green/yellow for a
potentially live cable and I'd like to find a solution to this asap.

You've bought the wrong cable. It is presumable a flex since it has
sleeved earth? It is flex designed for three phase stuff by the colours.
And yellow/green is for earth *only*.

Any decent wholesaler will have 4 core plus earth flex. Like this:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...e_3/index.html

If you don't need the earth, leave it unused, but taped safely out of the
way.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.