Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default language: The missing engineering skill

fired this volley in
news
That's why we invented drawing - first.

Not for nothin', but if someone cannot read or communicate well enough to
convey units and dimensions, a drawing does no good beyond conveying a
general idea.

Better than 70% of our population cannot read a ruler! What good would
it do to make a drawing with a specification of "11-7/8", if someone
cannot discern on a ruler what 7/8" IS?

If you doubt that, just watch a home being built (if you can find one,
these days).

LLoyd

I was thinking, before written language, Lloyd.
Building concepts into symbols.

However,
Running down stupid people doesn't really get us anywhere, does it?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and remember that half of
the population is below that!

So I rejoice that over a third of us CAN do technically sophisticated
things. Not just a few magicians at the top...