Posted to alt.home.repair
James Gagney James Gagney is offline

Default How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:19:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had envisioned the muffler clamp the other way, with the bolts outside
the guard rail. Use wing nuts, instead of wrench nuts. Cover the wing
nuts with heavy grease, so they don't rust.

Actually, that's a much better engineered solution:
a) The smooth rounded end won't rip the plastic garbage bag
b) The wingnuts would be easier to remove when needed
c) The grease would forestall them rusting solid

If the bag rips, put a second bag over the top of the trash can, and
then invert the whole mess. Pull the trash can out of the new trash bag.

The bad DOES rip at times ... and it gets full of water in the rainy
season, so that's a good idea also!

You did make a drain hole for when it rains

It only rains in the winter out here, but funny you should mention that
because, with the drill in hand, I decided to do just that. So, yes, now
there are drain holes in the bottom of the trash can.

Thanks for the wonderful advice!