Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Meth Lab Cleanup

On Sep 10, 5:21*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On Sep 8, 5:37 am, Norminn wrote:
I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is
condemned because it was used as a meth lab. The little research
I've done shows that there are certified contractors who can inspect
and correct the conditions to make a structure habitable. Anyone
have experience with this? What chemicals remain in the structure,
how to be sure it is safe, etc? The house needs work, just from
observation, but looks like a good candidate for rehab.

Is there a residual odor? I've asked around [sheriff's dept,
incarcerated individuals, neighbors, etc] and no one will either
confirm, nor deny that a meth lab stinks and you can smell it in the
neighborhood.

I ask, because several times at night I've smelled a strange smell
lingering in the air and am VERY concerned.

There is more than one way to cook meth, but if you see or smell these
chemicals together, they might indicate a meth lab.
-acetone
-isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or Iso-Heet fuel treatment)
-methyl alcohol (wood spirits or Heet fuel treatment)
-lye as in Red Devil lye
-crystal or liquid iodine
-mineral spirits
-bleach
-anhydrous ammonia
-sulfuric acid (car battery acid)
-hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid)
-matches/match box strikers (for red phosphorus)
-cold tablets containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine
-white gas
-lithium (from lithium batteries)
-trichloroethane (solvent for gun cleaning)
-sodium metal or rock or table salt
-ether (starter fluid)
-toluene

http://chemistry.about.com/od/medica...-A-Meth-Lab-Sm...

Thank you for excellent list.

We live in a very rural area of sparse residential housing. In other
words, no farming and no livestock. It's just that sometimes
throughout our valley I smell a 'sour milk' smell hanging in the air.
Only twice within a year, but little wind, so couldn't tell direction,
just a 'wet' sour milk odor.

Not having taken part in the drug era, I didn't know. ...maybe it's
something else.