Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Flouresent lighting questions for the wizards

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:35:07 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 10:19:19 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
Ive got a shop 14' wide by 55' long

For years Ive had a series of 4' double tube florescent fixtures
hanging and have had no issues with them.

Your best bet is to install T8 fixtures over your machines and switch them
individually. You can get decent Lithonia fixtures at Home Depot with real
ballasts for pretty cheap money, at least here in NY. Payback on using T8
instead of T12 is quick, and task lighting is also a good way to save
money.
Buy a fixture at a time as you can afford it.

But which voltage?

I would just buy new 120v fixtures. I actually have some nice indirect 277
T5 fixtures that I wanted to use but eventually decided installing a buck
boost transformer and having a different voltage in the shop just wasn't
worth it.

Buying...is out of the cards at the moment. I might be able to start
swapping ballasts over time...but...there is no money for changing
fixtures. Seriously.

As long as I dont have to spend money..Im golden.

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are