Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

On Sep 2, 11:33*am, Bill wrote:
In article , says...

James Gagney writes:

Today I tried drilling a hole in the guardrail - but the drill bit
wouldn't make a dent.

See picture he
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153893.jpg

What would you use to drill a hole suitable for mounting a garbage can
where there is no electricity available?

That railing doesn't look like the kind of thing a poster here would
own...

Are you sure the owner wants holes drilled in his railing?

Right!

Those guardrails are designed to collapse in the event a vehicle hits
one. This reduces injuries to people in the vehicle. I would rather not
be responsible for modifying one or mounting objects on one which would
in any way alter the function of it! (And then get some lawyer claiming
I was partially responsible for injuries caused in an accident.)

Traffic engineers would have a fit if they saw that. They go to a lot of
work to get road signs and so forth to "break away" if a vehicle hits
them. Like this...

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_d...hardware/ctrme
asures/breakaway/

LOL... I dunno what planet you are from but on
earth guard rails are placed in an attempt to keep
the vehicles on the graded roadway corridor rather
than freely plunging over some embankment or
careening off into an area with lots of closely spaced
older trees...

The guard rail itself is not designed to prevent injuries
by collapsing but attempt to prevent serious injuries by
redirecting vehicles to a safer area to crash... Crumple
zones on cars do that work...

Crash tests are done crashing vehicles into solid objects
(other cars and barricades) on the same level ground surface
as the moving vehicle being tested, add falling any significant
distance down an incline during a crash and impacting
into immovable heavy objects and the weight of the vehicle,
occupants and any cargo has more of an effect...