Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_4_] Tim Wescott[_4_] is offline

Default Anyone need a Cessna valve removal too?

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:39:22 -0400, clare wrote:

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:35:03 -0700, Gunner wrote:

I bought a rather interesting valve removal tool at a going out of
business sale last week. Its one of the biggest Ive ever seen and one
of the employees (a friend) told me to snag it. When I asked why...he
said "because its a valve removal tool for a Cessna engine"

Anyone need it?

Photos will be forth coming

Gunner

No such thing as a
"cessna" engine. It will be either a Lycoming or a Continental engine.

Actually, in the late 1920's Cessna did make engines -- or at least it
modified Anzani engines for more power. There was a shortage of good,
modern (for the time) engines in the 100-150 HP range, and Cessna had
airplanes to sell. So they figured out how to replace the self-actuating
intake valves with cam-actuated ones.

In the end it only sold them a few planes, but it does make an
interesting bit-o-trivia.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com