Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Message from an ebay buyer

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:51:58 PM UTC-4, George Plimpton wrote:
On 9/5/2012 3:06 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

On 2012-09-05, wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:01:07 -0500, Ignoramus29252

wrote:

``There is no such voltage as 460 Single Phase. 460 volts is Three Phase''

Iggy-that statement is absolutely true. I know because I checked it

out. At 459 volts power only comes out of one wire. At 460 volts power

comes out of three wires. And then at 461 volts power only comes out

of one wire again. I looked at the wires and I could see the power

coming out of the wires. And you don't even need to look at all three

wires because single phase voltage is orange and three phase voltage

voltage is blue. Interestingly though is the fact that single phase

current is green and three phase current is yellow. I wonder why the

current isn't the same color as the voltage. Anyway, if you look at

the wires at the right angle you can see both colors at once. I forgot

to say that the colors only apply to AC voltage and current. DC

voltage and current are invisible. But that's OK because DC is so

noisy.

Airick

The reason the voltage and current are different colors is so you can determine power factor by how they mix. I though everyone knew that.

I thought 460v was twice cheaper to use than 230v, because of twice

less current.

Well, yeah but the truth is that the I2R losses *will* be cut by a factor of four. My 'lectric company recently went to huge expense in replacing all of the tranformers and many of the poles in my neighborhood so they could raise the primary voltage from 8KV to 13KV. It will, in the not-very-long run, pay for itself in reduced heating of the primary wires.

By the way, this was a pretty impressive show. The had a HUGE transformer on a flatbed in a nearby parking lot, switchable from 8KV to 13KV. All of the new transformers were also switchable. After they had this all installed and running at 8KV (with no interruption of service, by the way), they called in what must have been damned near every truck they had in the state.. There were ten on my block alone. At the appointed hour, the power was shut off and they switched all the transformers. It all took about ten minutes before the lights came back on.

Excellent planning on PSE&G's part.

A private utility, of course. Private enterprise gets things done.

Somehow, you've taken this story and turned it into anti-government bull****. Would it make any difference to you if I told you that, for the twenty or so years preceding this project, my line voltage hovered around 109V, with frequent dips below 100V? It was the threat of a class-action suit from a neighboring block association, combined with charts from my APC line monitor that finally got them to move.

So yeah, private enterprise got things done, but not without the threat from the public of a suit in a government court.

My point about the excellent planning was that they made this switchover with only a ten or so minute interruption in service.