Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default String/fibre filled flexible cable ?

In article ,
Nick wrote:
I'm wanting to replace the flex in a V old inertia reel electrical lead.
Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled. I
presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores. An
invaluable tool for me in the workshop but now the flex is showing some
signs of wear. The device is probably 70 years old [1], doesn't use
slip rings but an ingenious mechanism of pulleys to spool the flex onto
the drum. I've been using it daily for about 35 years. At full stretch
of 12m, the pull required is quite vigorous. I suspect modern standard
flex would not put up with such for too long. It is only employed for
light loading only. Have goggleyed a bit but no joy. I hope you
knowledgeable folk may be able to steer me in the right direction.

You can still buy traditional rubber flex. At a price.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ber/index.html

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.