Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default String/fibre filled flexible cable ?

I'm wanting to replace the flex in a V old inertia reel electrical lead.
Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled. I
presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores. An invaluable
tool for me in the workshop but now the flex is showing some signs of wear.
The device is probably 70 years old [1], doesn't use slip rings but an
ingenious mechanism of pulleys to spool the flex onto the drum. I've been
using it daily for about 35 years. At full stretch of 12m, the pull required
is quite vigorous. I suspect modern standard flex would not put up with such
for too long. It is only employed for light loading only.
Have goggleyed a bit but no joy. I hope you knowledgeable folk may be able
to steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks
Nick.

[1] I removed this from an English Electric mobile generator that was used
to power searchlights during WWII. This cable reeler provided power to an
inspection lamp that would reach anywhere within (and some distance beyond)
the 36ft trailer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:18:25 +0100, Nick wrote:

Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled.
I presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores.

And aids the flexibilty. I think the flex sold for clothes irons is
cotton filled rubber but also is cotton covered.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice presented the following explanation :
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:18:25 +0100, Nick wrote:

Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled.
I presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores.

And aids the flexibilty. I think the flex sold for clothes irons is
cotton filled rubber but also is cotton covered.

...and abraids quite easily.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick wrote:
I'm wanting to replace the flex in a V old inertia reel electrical lead.
Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled. I
presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores. An
invaluable tool for me in the workshop but now the flex is showing some
signs of wear. The device is probably 70 years old [1], doesn't use
slip rings but an ingenious mechanism of pulleys to spool the flex onto
the drum. I've been using it daily for about 35 years. At full stretch
of 12m, the pull required is quite vigorous. I suspect modern standard
flex would not put up with such for too long. It is only employed for
light loading only. Have goggleyed a bit but no joy. I hope you
knowledgeable folk may be able to steer me in the right direction.

You can still buy traditional rubber flex. At a price.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ber/index.html

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip...
You can still buy traditional rubber flex. At a price.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ber/index.html

But says "light stress" which I imagine is no good for the OP.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul D Smith wrote:
...snip...
You can still buy traditional rubber flex. At a price.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ber/index.html

But says "light stress" which I imagine is no good for the OP.

I've got a reel of it in a smaller size and it includes the string.

You'd have to define 'stress'.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 02.09.2012 20:18, schrieb Nick:
I'm wanting to replace the flex in a V old inertia reel electrical lead.
Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled. I
presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores.

Lapp has a varity of cables for industrial/heavy duty applications.
Maybe you find something he
http://products.lappgroup.com/nc/cablefinder.html
Good luck!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I hope you knowledgeable folk may be able
to steer me in the right direction.

This is the type of cable,
H07 RN-F
and this is what you need, but with fewer cores
http://www.topcable.com/en/low-volta...ubber/H07RN-F/