Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Is it worth insalling a sattelite dish for freeview channels?

In message , John Williamson
writes
JakeD wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
:
I'd say Freesat probably it was worth it for the £30 cost of the
dish even if terrestrial DTV works the MPEG bitrate is higher on
satellite.

Thanks to all for the replies. My neighbour gets freeview channels
via his regular TV arial. However, the picture often starts breaking
up on certain channels, particularly in the late evening. On some
days he finds it difficult to access any channels at all except for
BBC News and the Parliament channel. Would I experience the same
problems using a dish and a freesat box?

No, but if the system isn't set up correctly, then you may suffer
problems in rain and snow.

You also need to be sure there are no trees in the line of sight
between the dish and the satellite.

However, if your neighbour had the correct aerial, correctly aimed, for
his Freeview installation, he wouldn't get the problem either. On
switchover, some aerials had to be replaced, as they were either out of
spec. or needed to be changed as the channel group had changed.

Reminds mew of the time we spent an enjoyable afternoon in a little
village in Lombok watching the locals cutting down a tree for us after
the dickhead who did the survey hadn't noticed the firkin great tree
obscuring the line of sight to the next dish down the way

A grand time was had by all except for the local telephone operator,
whose tools of his trade (telephone wires) were inextricably intertwined
with the branches

--
geoff