Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default Wall fixings advice sought

On 02/09/2012 20:39, Dave Newt wrote:
On 31/08/2012 22:44, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:33 pm, Dave Newt wrote:
Any help gratefully accepted!

Bosch Multi-Construction drills, used without hammer, will go through
fragile plaster without smashing lumps out. You can also use them with
hammer to drill bricks (although an SDS is better).

Drill a hole, maybe oversize, through the plaster. Then drill the
brick to the right size for the plugs. Use a fairly soft plug, like a
Rawl Uno. Push these deep enough into the hole that they're _entirely_
within the brick. If the plugs aren't below the plaster, then then
they expand sideways, they'll either break the plaster, or they'll
grip it so tightly that they pull it off the bricks when loaded. (One
of these seems to have happened here, but it's hard to tell which.)
Then use long enough screws to reach the deep plugs.

Would these make any sense, do you think?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...umber =711213

'Kinell! £6:49 for a pack of 8 FFS?

Pack of 10 for 80p from Toolsatan.

Ten times the bloody price. Homobase are rip off merchants big time.

Sure, I saw cheaper ones after I posted that, but is that the sort of
thing that I could use for this? Sorry, but I'm quite amateur :-)

Also, if I just used a shorter plug into the brick, I'm not sure how I'd
best fill the larger hole (ie where the plaster has been pulled off when
the bracket fell). If I fill it first, then I'll be back to guessing
whether I've got the plug into the brick, but on the other hand it
sounds a bit clumsy to put the filler in afterwards around the
screw/plug...

Plug first, fill after.

Ta.