Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] notforme@dontwrite.com is offline

Default How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:17:20 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Traffic engineers would have a fit if they saw that. They go to a lot of
work to get road signs and so forth to "break away" if a vehicle hits
them. Like this...

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_d...hardware/ctrme
asures/breakaway/

When people are killed in car accidents, instead of leaving flowers at
the site, we should just leave the dead bodies there.

There may be some practical problems with that. I'll have to check

But one thing I've seen in several states is a white cross where each
person died. I'm not a Christian and I dislike enormously attempts
to insert religion into the government anywhere, including Christian
or other sectarian invocations at football games. This is the one and
only place where I woudn't object -- if private parties do it and not
the Highway Department or Police -- because it is simple, easy, and
clear, and they can be placed just where each person died, or just off
the road where the car came to rest.

It marks the part of the road that has been proven to be dangerous.
So sometimes I see tham at a curve at the end of a long straight run.

I've even seen the top dipped in red paint. I guess that is the same
plain white, since surely no one is marking mere injuries. Unless
there was a death and injuries in the same accident.

If I die in a traffic accident, I'm sure one of my friends will come
and remove any cross put up where I die.

Then we'd develop
safer drivers, instead of this ridiculous fascination we have with
compensating for stupidity. By using terms like "errant vehicle" we
absolve the nut behind the wheel. I think we've taken that absolution a
little too far.