Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Smitty Two wrote in
:

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article , says...

James Gagney writes:

Today I tried drilling a hole in the guardrail - but the drill
bit wouldn't make a dent.

See picture he
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153893.jpg

What would you use to drill a hole suitable for mounting a
garbage can where there is no electricity available?

That railing doesn't look like the kind of thing a poster here
would own...

Are you sure the owner wants holes drilled in his railing?

Right!

Those guardrails are designed to collapse in the event a vehicle hits
one. This reduces injuries to people in the vehicle. I would rather
not be responsible for modifying one or mounting objects on one which
would in any way alter the function of it! (And then get some lawyer
claiming I was partially responsible for injuries caused in an
accident.)

Traffic engineers would have a fit if they saw that. They go to a lot
of work to get road signs and so forth to "break away" if a vehicle
hits them. Like this...

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_d...d_hardware/ctr
me asures/breakaway/

When people are killed in car accidents, instead of leaving flowers at
the site, we should just leave the dead bodies there. Then we'd
develop safer drivers, instead of this ridiculous fascination we have
with compensating for stupidity. By using terms like "errant vehicle"
we absolve the nut behind the wheel. I think we've taken that
absolution a little too far.

In VT, many parts of the interstate are divided by rock formations left
when the road was built. The people you describe were having a "hard"
time with them pun blatently intended. So they wanted to remove it to
make it safer for assholes. Guess someone figured hitting oncoming
interstate traffic was a good thing.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id... 35%2C5560016