Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:41:43 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney
wrote:

Today I tried drilling a hole in the guardrail - but the drill bit
wouldn't make a dent.

See picture he
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153893.jpg

What would you use to drill a hole suitable for mounting a garbage can
where there is no electricity available?

Occasionally, my drill is spinning the wrong direction. Don't do
that.

Consider attaching the clamp to the garbage can instead of the guard
rail.

If you do attach to the guard raile, consider that when your garbage
can wears out, they might not be selling new ones of the same shape.

(Although my plastic cans are 30 and 25 years old. One of the 30-year
old ones got several vertical splits in it, and the garbage men took
it and kept it. (Another time, someone stole the rectangular lid to
a borrowed plastic can with wheels. I think it waw the garbage man
because no one else was around. A couple weeks later, a repacement
lid was left, same brand, but one size bigger) )