Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alignment Pin

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

Well, I would like a lot better accuracy than that, but I don't know
how I would be able to get it with a setup that allows the vises to
be removed and reinstalled easily except possibley my double key
method discussed above. I am sure I could get them straight to less
than that over the length of the table with just the single keying,
but the pin idea was in regards to accuracy of position left to
right. The distance between them can also be set with a parallel
plate, but the absolute position would not be the same every time.
Since I am not retired, and I am not a full time machinist, and I
don't have your experience I am looking for ways that *I* can reduce
setup time.

Set the vises in place by measurement and then notch a long piece of
bar stock to fit snugly between all the jaws. You could make a spacing
rod to align the first vise off the end of the table, then use the
notched bar to position the others relative to it.

Or mill the notches with CNC, whatever gives you the best accuracy.

What do you use as a work stop to locate the stock X-wise in the
vises? It's the only thing that has to be accurately positioned.

jsw