Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Access to lighting wiring under loft floor

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/08/2012 08:40, David WE Roberts wrote:
Two issues here.

(1) I would like to be able to access the wiring into the ceiling roses
from
above for maintenance, but I also want to floor in the whole loft with
T&G
loft panels. At the moment I can get at most of the wiring because the
last
third of the loft isn't yet floored in, and the area where the cold water
tanks sat is also not floored in so I can slide T&G boards sideways to
get
them out. However when the whole lot is done, the lighting wiring will be
concealed and getting at it could be a major operation.

A board access hole saw such as described he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Under_floo rs

Chops out a ring above your rose, and you repair it with a drop in metal
plate.

(2) I really, really hate it when the ceiling rose has three or more sets
of
wires coming into such a small space. Endless fiddling to get everything
slide down for access, then slide back up again to refit the rose. Also
doing it perched on a set of steps looking up.

So I would like to do one of two things.

Either just put some kind of inspection hatch over each ceiling rose -
something low profile like a metal plate which can have stuff placed on
it
when not being accessed - or bring the wiring up through the floor into
some
kind of junction box so that each light fitting only has two wires and
the
wiring is easily available on the loft floor.

See above, and also look at doing loop in wiring with a JB or wago box.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?... iring_Options

That way you can just drop a single cable to each rose.

Both solve problem (1) but the junction box is an obstruction/trip hazard
so
although solving (2) it causes other problems.

Not if the JB is under the metal plate ;-)

How about fitting a dry wall box into the wooden floor and having some
kind
of junction in there, with a blank face plate?

Still a bit or a trip hazard, and the face plates are probably unlikely to
react well to being walked on!

If so, what kind of junction?
Can you get blocks of connectors (something more sophisticated than choc
bloks) which are suitable, or even a proper junction box with strain
relief
which will fit in a wall/floor box?

These are ideal for lighting junction wiring:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ago/index.html

Lik those Wago things :-)
Thanks again to all who responded.

[Not even bunny]