Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default ot technology:

On 8/28/2012 1:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

That is the belief of the common populace. In reality, outside of a few
very specialized markets (mostly ghetto markets), "bling" has no real value.
Now - it you are talking about perceived value, or something like social
value - then I'd agree with you.

Yes, Perceived value is what makes a sale, more than actual value.
i-widgets have lots of *bling*.

But - those are the points I am trying to
get past with my questions. I don't care what no-minds will spend their
money on. I'm conducting a dialog that is more sophisticated than that. To
add "bling" crap does nothing to advance this conversation.

Okay, but I'm not sure what is left to be said. I will say it: When one
buys a Festool they are paying for some bling. If one doesn't like it,
then they shouldn't buy it. That's clearly not all they are buying, but
that's an aspect.

I bought a large Pfeil gouge this weekend at Woodcraft and thought I
paid for some bling too (Woodcraft is the only Pfeil distributor in
N.A.).At least I had a 25% off coupon. It was my decision though. I
know where to find Festools if I ever want one!

Somehow I don't care for Saw Stop's bling.