Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ot technology:

Casper wrote:

My friend also has a smart phone. He just prefers the larger screen
and has no use for a dedicated GPS. Since he went with the 4G iPad, he
links his iPad and iPhone on vacation and at work and no longer
carries a laptop to meetings. His notes automatically upload to the
cloud and back to his desktop.

Yup - I've seen guys doing that. Just my opinion, but to me that is too
much effort. I'm not enamored by using the cloud just because I can. I can
eliminate half of his steps just by doing it on my PC, and not even involve
the risks associated with the cloud. So again - what is his "advantage"?

I have been evangelizing cloud based solutions and selling them from long
before most people here even heard of the term. I know very well from an
infrastructure perspective, what the advantages and what the limitations or
the liabilities of a cloud based solution are. To use the term "cloud"
should raise a number of discussion points. If it does not - then the
speaker does not understand the cloud at all. But that is just my
"uninformed" opinion on the matter. And - I am a believer in the cloud - go
figure that one out.

I have a smart phone too but for some things it's simply too small. I
hate attempting to read an Internet site on one. I don't use my
devices as much as some do.

Nor do I. I have a Galaxy S3 and even with its big screen, it's not the
answer to everything. I don't surf the net on it and only use it on the net
when I need to. It is no replacement for a laptop. But - it does fill a
small hole - with constraints.

As Alton Brown likes to say, avoid uni-taskers. He means in the
kitchen but I apply that to everything in my life.

Yup!

That surprises me. It's normally Apple that locks users into what
they sell and how they sell it, and it's usually the more open stuff
that gives the user more freedoms.

People often think that but once you get the devices into your hands
and actually work with them it usually turns out differently. In my
friend's case, I would have thought she wouldn't care about icon
location or app deletion, but she does. She often tends to buy things
on impulse and that was one such purchase. I am amused she now finally
has and loves the iPad. It isn't for everyone, but it does do most of
the things the average person does or wants to do.

Again - I am surprised that she found the tablet to be less user
configurable than an iPad. Are you sure she knew how to use it? Operator
brain-damage?

Mouse? What's that? I haven't used a mouse in years, unless forced to.
Once Logitech came out with the track ball, that was all I needed and
all I use. Frustrates anyone else who sits at my desk .. lol .. but
hey, that's not my problem. I can move faster and do more with the
trackmarble than with a mouse and my wrist doesn't cramp or suffer.

Yeah - I use the term almost universally. Track ball, mouse, eraser head,
touch pad - they all kind of blend together in my speach.

--

-Mike-