Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default ot technology:

I find myself using my USB port for a lot ot things - chargin my cell phone
and other USB type devices (Golf GPS, etc.), transfering data between my
laptop and my cell phone (could use wireless, or bluetooth but I generally
just use USB), and the likes. I'm sure I could adapt if I didn't have a USB
port, but I am used to using my laptop port. Reduces the number of power
supplies I have to keep packed.

I still use a couple USB devices but I find I don't have the need for
as many anymore. Since I work in a wi-fi environment and my files are
relatively small, it's easy and fast for me update them via wireless.

That's what smartphones are for! Actually, I do not use my cell phone GPS a
lot because of the battery drain from using it. When I travel, I just take
my vehicle GPS with me. I would not want to open up any kind of a device
like a laptop or an iPad for that functionality. Too many drawbacks.

My friend also has a smart phone. He just prefers the larger screen
and has no use for a dedicated GPS. Since he went with the 4G iPad, he
links his iPad and iPhone on vacation and at work and no longer
carries a laptop to meetings. His notes automatically upload to the
cloud and back to his desktop.

I have a smart phone too but for some things it's simply too small. I
hate attempting to read an Internet site on one. I don't use my
devices as much as some do. I know several people who completely work
on iPads now. I'm not there .. yet. I readily admit the iPad and it's
like still need some growth in the technology.

As Alton Brown likes to say, avoid uni-taskers. He means in the
kitchen but I apply that to everything in my life.

That surprises me. It's normally Apple that locks users into what they sell
and how they sell it, and it's usually the more open stuff that gives the
user more freedoms.

People often think that but once you get the devices into your hands
and actually work with them it usually turns out differently. In my
friend's case, I would have thought she wouldn't care about icon
location or app deletion, but she does. She often tends to buy things
on impulse and that was one such purchase. I am amused she now finally
has and loves the iPad. It isn't for everyone, but it does do most of
the things the average person does or wants to do.

Not so much a matter of adjusting to new ways - I'm pretty good about that.
It's more that I like the interface better. I would not like to have to
touch the screen to do everything. That to me, is an interruption in work
flow. I used to love the eraser head mouse buttons on laptops. You never
had to take your hands off of home row to navigate. It still sometimes
annoys me to have to move my hand 2" to hit the navigation keys or the touch
pad on my current laptop. Sigh....

I adjust well too. In fact I often go out of my way to try and test
new things. I don't have a touch screen desktop but some day there
will be no other option. Integration and cost will help speed those
things along.

Mouse? What's that? I haven't used a mouse in years, unless forced to.
Once Logitech came out with the track ball, that was all I needed and
all I use. Frustrates anyone else who sits at my desk .. lol .. but
hey, that's not my problem. I can move faster and do more with the
trackmarble than with a mouse and my wrist doesn't cramp or suffer.

Technology changes life and many go kicking and screaming. I prefer
not to waste energy on that fight but it's an individual decision.

Kind of like bicycles... A multi-speed is easier on the legs while a
fixie (single speed) is harder. Both are healthier, but one is
lighter, cheaper and easier to fix on the road.

So with the old saying, "work smarter, not harder", I believe it's all
relative to perception of what is harder ... for you. :-)