Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Access to lighting wiring under loft floor

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:17:30 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/produc...Routabout.html

Ah - yes - forgot about those.
Solves problem (1)

But really designed for solid (chipboard) not T&G (planked) floors. With
T&G I think I'd just have a bit of the boards that will lift out, ie
remove the lower part of the groove(s) for sections between joists.

Ah - T&G chipboard loft flooring packs i.e. smaller runs of chipboard which
will go through the loft hatch.
If you take away the T&G I think this compromises some of the structural
strength.
The T&G bit is quite substantial.
I suppose I could interrupt the run at two joists and have a small panel of
chipboard to lift - will have a look at that.
Only need the underside of the groove on one side of the panel removed and
it could well lift easily without losing too much strength.
Drilled/hole sawn access hole is neater, but not as strong.

but not problem (2)

Which I think is more about strain relief rather than a box for the
connections. The only cable that might not be clipped to the joists is
the one dropping into the ceiling rose and that will have slack on it
anyway. So if you change the fitting to one that doesn't need the rose
you don't have to climb into the loft and shift all the junk that is over
the access hole... Meaning that even that cable can be clipped adjacent
to the junction box.

Personally I'd not want anything sticking up, like a blanking plate over
a drylining box.

Not sure I completely follow this bit.
If I need to check or modify the wiring at some future date, whatever system
I use I will have to be able to get at it all.
So AFAICS it is either having everything coming down into the ceiling rose
(and still needing access from above to e.g. add another light) or having a
simple light fitting and some kind of junction box in the loft.
Either way I will need maintenance access at some point from within the
loft.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]