Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Continuous still

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:00:13 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"RogerN" wrote in message
news:cdWdnZr6QeLf16fNnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@earthlink. com...
Related info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_purification
http://www.pcj.com/e10/pdf/THE%20PRO...0MOLECULAR.pdf

RogerN

More electric heat required. When you approach 1:1 efficiency in converting
electricity into ethanol you might as well buy an electric vehicle.

jsw

I'm not as concerned about 1:1 efficiency, just mostly about the cost to
drive a mile. Charging a battery from house power isn't very efficient but
it may be cheaper than gasoline. If I can't make ethanol with a cost per
gallon , including electricity, close to half the price of gasoline, then it
probably won't be worth messing with. But, even if it's not worth making
for motor vehicle fuel I wouldn't mind making for a $20 / gallon denatured
alcohol replacement. But I don't want to have to go through much paperwork
to make a couple of gallons of ethanol per year...

RogerN

It may be more cost effective in the short run...but how much will
that battery pack cost you to replace? How much will an engine cost
to replace? A significant difference.

One can pick up a Ranger engine 3.0 for example..with less than 100k
on the clock for $600

What will the costs per 100k miles be for battery replacement?

One might buy a single round of ammunition for $0.15. A big ball
bearing for the sling shot, for .10. Which one is cheaper?

Dont forget the basic price of the delivery system..sling shot vrs
gun, how much the gun is going to cost you per 500 rds wear and
tear/maintainence versus the slingshots cost per 500 rds.
Remember..those rubber bands get replaced pretty often...etc etc

The slingshot may be the more expensive item over time.

The sticker price is not always indicative of the total cost of
owning/using something. Which is why owning a washing machine costs
far more today then it did 25 yrs ago, even with the prices adjusted
for inflation. They are built like crap and need far more repair than
did the old ones.

Which is why Harbor Freight is so popular. The tools may not be
SnapOn..but initial cost of ownership is far far cheaper, and if they
break, you simply go to the store and exhange it this afternoon. Lots
of SnapOn trucks in your AO? On Sunday?

Yes..SnapOn may be "better"...but that is based on a lot of things not
usually considered by a homeowner

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper