Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Answers and questions

On 8/18/2012 5:58 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
news
On 8/17/2012 9:41 PM, wrote:

I generally run the wires through a peice of garden hose down the
tongue and frame and strap the hose solidly to the frame with conduit
straps.

That's an excellent tip.
I ran mine through PVC tube.

PVC is some tough stuff, but then so is a piece of Goodyear hose. For me,
considering flexibility and longevity, I'll take the hose idea.

Thanks.

Steve

Here is an idea that has worked well for me on my 1/2 dozen trailers.
The part that usually gets damaged, shorted, ripped, or whatever is the
relatively short piece of wire between the truck and the trailer. I
mounted an electricians 4square box on the trailer and ran conduit (I've
used both plastic and EMT - the EMT needs a lot fewer clamps and
fasteners) back to the axles and other pieces on to the lights. Use a
heavy multistrand lead from trailer connector to 4square and stranded
copper wires in the conduits. Put a blank plate on the 4square with the
colors marked with a Sharpie. Make all the connections with twist locks
so they can be changed or checked easily. Chasing down problems is
sure a lot more simple with this set up. I've not needed to change out
any of the stranded, but it would be really easy.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven