Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Why do people "compete" off-time

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 01:53:16 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 8/23/2012 1:34 AM, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:54:44 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Snip...

The next day, the machinist called him to say that all the holes were
"all over the place; up to 30-thousanths off-centers",

Snip...

The answer is pretty clear. That "machinist" couldn't measure
anything with better than a 30 thou accuracy.

Or he was looking for a way to charge the snot out of the job.

Which is something Ive found more than once. I refused to do service
for 2 companies for doing something like this to other clients of mine
over the past 15 yrs.

Both times..the issue came up..I was called in to diagnose a "bad
machine" and I took it very very seriously.

I found the 2 companies were trying to ass**** the client for more
money..in one case close to $100k..the other..for $25k

When I went to the owner of the companies directly..they both got all
slippery and weasely at which point..I told them both that the jig was
up..Id written a formal report of my findings.....and they needed to
find someone else to fix their machines for them...as I would not work
for a crook nor a varmint. Ever.

I lost a fair amount of money over the years by doing that...but I have
my pride and sense of self worth chugging along just fine.

Both went out of business about 7 yrs ago....and bad cess be to both of
them

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest
endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in
some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow
citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Over the years I've seen every unethical person go down. Some faster
than others but it eventually catches up with them. It never pays to
lie to or cheat anyone.

Sometimes it can take a gawdaful long time, though.

http://www.wescottdesign.com