Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Manual "butterfly" or "grip" to slot onto 7mm hexagonal "bolt"

On 22/08/2012 12:30, newshound wrote:
larkim wrote:
Sorry for the excessive "" in the title - I know I'm probably using
the wrong terminology!

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt"
which tightens up.

When it arrived, there was a plastic surround covering the hexagonal
top of the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place
manually without a tool.

However, he has subsequently bashed this on something and the plastic
surround has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head,
which fits into a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to
search for to get some form of replacement head for this?
Cheers!

Matt

remove bolt.
file or carve a butterfly shaped thing out of wood
use it to make a mould in plasticine
Fill mould with car body filler and push the bolt head in
remove plasticine and file/sand to perfect shape
spray in lurid colours

It's called a wing bolt, you can get various sizes on eBay, but you will
need to check the thread size (perhaps M4?)

If I were doing a manual replacement I would probably cut a slot in the
head and silver solder something like a 1p or 5p coin into it. (OK,
defacing coin of the realm and so forth).

I think that it is no longer illegal to do so. Hence the appearance of
those machines at various museums and the like, where you pay 50p to
squeeze a 1p or 2p coin between rollers and elongate it.

SteveW