Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_6_] Gunner[_6_] is offline

Default Is there any HSS/HS marking requirements

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:03:54 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Aug 22, 11:21*am, "Pete S" wrote:
You may be correct in thinking that the parts (the metric dies) aren't HSS,
but you could be wrong, too.
They COULD be HSS if:
-there was a problem in heat treatment
-The mfr wanted them less brittle for some specific reason

W1 can be hardened to a lot higher Rc than 55, so I wouldn't draw the
conclusion you did based simply on Rc hardness.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------------------------------------------------------

I've bought 2 metric dies recently on eBay, that the add stated as HSS,
and testing with my rockwell hardness tester indicates Rc=55 and less.

ignator- Hide quoted text -

Short of doing a destructive test, like heat them to red hot, let them
air cool and test to see if they are airhardening tool steel, as I
believe HSS is M2 or in that family of tool steel. I know I can pay
for quality, but I don't want to tie up $500 on a set. As is I have
all the taps back when they were easy to get of ebay, and cheap to
ship. I really expect that HSS is a badge of honor that any tool
maker would mark on their product, and not just have the miniouns of
ebay seller claiming to be so.
What I was looking for was ammunician that requires this to be marked
on the tooling if sold with that claim.
ignator

Ive got about 50-100 pounds of dipped GOOD taps of various sizes.
What size do you need?

These came out of an American factory I shut down a few years ago. I
do have some metrics as well. But I have few dies.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper